Probably from the time you were a little kid you heard words like, Don't forget to brush your teeth! Or, it might be that you grew up in a family that didn't give a lot of importance to dental health. If that's the case, you have probably learned since that time how important dental health is for the rest of your body. If you have decided that you want to maintain excellent dental health for your entire family, from home care to looking for the best dentistry services, here are some ideas that might help you.
At Home -
- Be sure your family understand how important dental hygiene is
- Think of having a meeting where you explain good habits. Show pictures of healthy teeth and compare them to pictures of diseased teeth.
Of course, you don't want to focus on negative ways to try to teach your kids. However, seeing those diseased teeth might make a lasting impression.
- Have a poster where kids can chart their brushing and flossing.
- Offer rewards for a job well done. For example, a week of constant care might merit a trip to the dollar store. No cavities at the next dental visit might mean a special stay-up-late night.
At The Dentist -
- Find a dentist that will treat all of your family members.
- Look for a dentist that communicates well with kids.
- Make sure the office staff is courteous and friendly.
- Arrange your calendar for dental visits every six months.
When your children are tiny, think of taking them to the dentist so they can get used to things like sitting in the dental chair. The dental hygienist or even the dentist might even show the child all of the instruments that are used. Make the trips to the dentist a positive experience for your kids so they'll look forward to their next visit.
By establishing yourself with a family dentist, he or she will always be available in emergencies. For example, if you or one of your family members has sudden pain, the dentist will more than likely make time to check the problem and offer relief. In addition, your family dentist will give you referrals when it's time for things like braces or for wisdom teeth removal. If the time comes that a root canal is needed, or if dentures are needed, the dentist will be able to suggest a specialist.